Thursday, October 21, 2010

Halloween Night

Author's Note: For my independent writing piece I decided to do something for Halloween. This is a ghost story, which are most common for Halloween. I hope you enjoy it!

The house is dark and I'm alone. I flop on my bed, thankful for the silence. I put the earbuds of my IPod in my ears and turn the volume up. It's 10:00 and my family is out trick-or-treating but I decided to stay home this year. Lying on my bed thinking about past Halloweens, the candy, counting it, sorting, trading. I'm staring up at the ceiling when the door downstairs crashes open. I hear it slam shut from the force of it opening. I listen for voices signaling the arrival of my family, but none comes. A few minutes later the floorboards creak under the weight of the figure. I'm so freaked out that I don't move, I can't move. I hear the thumping on the stairs, and the thumping of my heart against my chest, telling me they are coming up here. I pull the covers on top of me so no part of me is seen, hoping that this will make me invisible. I hear my door creak open and I peek out from under the covers. No one is standing there and downstairs I hear the joyful laughter of my little brother and sister. I get out of my bed and head downstairs and I heard a soft whisper, "Happy Halloween sweetheart…" The voice sounded like my mother's. The same mother that has been dead for 4 years.

3 comments:

  1. That was a pretty cool piece. It was awesome how you kind of built up suspense. I think yo should expand on the story and explain more about her mother or why she didn't go trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Claire. It's kind of brief, you may want to expand it to explain more in depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an exciting piece and I think that you should expand on it, as both Claire and Matt have said. You could add more detail to this to make the reader ever more engulfed in the suspense and creepy feeling of the setting.

    ReplyDelete